I've got several dolls houses and enjoy making things for them as well as buying items. Trouble is they get so dusty. A year can go by without touching them or making anything, so, as you can imagine, they are covered in dust. It's such a shame when this happens. I have a lot of hobbies and each one takes a turn, sometimes a couple of months, sometimes a year or more between each. My fabric stash is big, there are quite a few fat quarters that I know I won't be making patchwork quilts out of, most were bought just because I liked them. How to use up my fq stash and do something about the dust are two questions I ask myself. My latest idea is to make dust covers for my dolls houses. These houses are not on display as such, they are just standing there in my craft room. Here's what I came up with. The first house I covered was this Sylvanian People house, I can't remember what it is called...
Using five fat quarters I made the dust cover in a simple shape, to have made one to fit perfectly would have been to difficult for me...
It will be easy just to take the cover off and give it a good shake or to wash it. Then when I want to 'play' with the house it won't need dusting first. And it looks pretty, nice to see this Chinese style fabric instead of it being folded up in a box, which it has been for years.
For about a year I've not made any doll clothes or bought a doll. Recently I decided to get rid of some of the pile of clothes I had made so that I can get back into making new things for my dolls. A bit like clearing out my own wardrobe that I do regularly. So far, one bag of clothes has gone to a friend's granddaughters. Still quite a few for me to go through so in the meantime I've started knitting dolls. The pattern I used is from here and it worked up beautifully. I'd heard how good the Jean Greenhowe patterns were and now I know for myself. Here's the little Rainbow Baby I knitted from one of Jean's free patterns...
It took me a couple of days knitting on and off all day. It's a very easy project and everything worked exactly as the pattern said it would. I've started another one and intend sending for the Little Dumpling Dolls parts 1 and 2.
I had bought a pattern book from another designer and was very disappointed with it. It was for little knitted bears that had various knitted outfits. Well, the bear knitted up very nicely but the clothes turned out miles too big for the little bear. What is the point of making anymore from that pattern book if the patterns don't work how they should, a waste of my time and money.
This beret took a few minutes to make. I love the Froggy Stuff videos and this hat is perfect for Bonnie to wear with her new coat. I used a six inch diameter plate but think a slightly bigger size would be better.
Bonnie the BFC doll now has a winter coat. I used the 8519 pattern from here . It is the jacket pattern and I lengthened it a little bit on the body and left off the back collar and the belt. The picture makes the coat look a bit big, in real life it looks fine. I used fleece so that I didn't have to bother with hems, it looks ok with the cut edges. I made three buttonholes, I dislike doing buttonholes, it is always a bit of a struggle for me to trust my automatic buttonholer and I have to do several practise holes before I have the confidence to go ahead on the garment. I think she needs a little scarf to wear with this coat. She does have a pair of boots that she came with, I should have put those on her for the photo.
I was looking at this blog http://madeintina.canalblog.com/and noticed that on some of her work she has left raw edges and her clothes still look gorgeous. So, if you get irritated (like I do) with trying to get the 'perfect' finish, just go ahead and not worry, enjoy creating, to me that's what it is about.
I finished the 1950s dress for Bonnie the BFC doll...
It was a bit fiddly to do, it has proper darts just like you'd get in a human pattern and the skirt was a bit awkward as I didn't really have enough fabric so had to make up my own pattern for it. But altogether I think it looks adorable. I got the pattern, inspiration and the tutorial from here . I think this dress suits this doll, I was going to dress her in quite modern style clothes, now I think she is going to look good in the 1950s style.
Now what shall I make next, I'll check out websites with 1950s fashions and see what I can come up with.
They are a bit more like shorts than undies but under the right style of skirt they will be ok. These undies were really quick and easy to make so I will be able to make matching ones for each outfit the BFC doll gets. Probably they would also fit my other 18 inch dolls.
I'm thinking of calling this doll Bonnie, not sure yet though.